Here are some significant developments:
- A bomb went off outside a Dutch coronavirus testing facility just before it was set to open, causing no injuries. This is the second time a testing facility has been attacked in the Netherlands amid dissatisfaction over coronavirus restrictions.
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s (R) order to lift the state’s mask requirement and restrictions on businesses prompted sharp criticism from experts and officials calling it premature.
- President Biden said that the United States will have enough vaccine doses for every adult by the end of May. He also announced plans to vaccinate all K-12 teachers and child-care workers by the end of March.
- The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops urged Catholics to avoid taking the Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine because it used cells derived decades ago from an abortion.
- Brazil recorded the highest number of covid-19 deaths in a single day with 1,641 new deaths in the past 24 hours, surpassing last week’s previous record of about 1,541 coronavirus-related deaths, official data shows.
- More than 515,000 people have died in the United States from the coronavirus in the past year, while just over 15 percent of the population has now received at least one vaccine dose.